Monday, October 17, 2011

Our First Sick Day of the Year


Today was another one of those bumps in the road I talked about yesterday....

I was looking forward to a nice full day of co-op for Zac, a quick trip to Atlanta for a design client, an orthodontist appointment, and Zac's karate class. Lot's of driving around, but I had the cooler ready so we wouldn't have to eat fast food and I had lessons planned that we could do in the car....sounds good right?

Well, nothing went as planned. Poor Zac woke up sick and was running a fever, so no co-op. I wasn't feeling much better than him, so no trip to Atlanta.

We were supposed to be studying about Jamestown this week, so we snuggled up on the sofa under a cozy blanket and read Pocahontas and the Strangers. I'd given up on getting a long list of things done today, so I was more patient than normal with the interruptions from Zac when he stopped me to ask questions. We just lingered,  discussing what it must have been like to be a Native American seeing the "Pale Face" with the "fire stick" for the first time, and how they must have felt about all the broken promises from these people they had befriended.


We also got into a discussion about how strict family life was for the Native American children. There was certainly no talking back. My son wanted to know why the Princess of the tribe would have to do any work. He was surprised that the women and the children, even the chief's family, did all the farming and hard physical work, while the men went hunting and fishing and kept guard over the village.

In the end, it really was a nice restful morning that we both obviously needed pretty badly. We stayed in pajamas even longer than normal. We rested and snuggled and talked....and surprise, surprise....we still got a lot of learning done!

Sorry I don't have pictures for today's post. I promise to have lots more as soon as I'm up and running again.

Blessings and stay well,
Vicki

No comments: