Friday, November 4, 2011

Memorable Moments ...........

Do you ever have days, or weeks, that just seem to be gone before you even realize they've happened. This week feels like that to me. It's already Friday! I have that feeling a lot when we get super busy and are running from one thing to the next in a crazy whirlwind, but that wasn't necessarily the case this week. We didn't have that much planned. I mean, not more than usual for us. No, it feels more like it just slipped by...in a whisper.

Don't get me wrong, I do have some great moments to share with you from this week.

Monday....


We made a 3-D model of the White House in Monday's Co-op

































Monday night....
We got together with neighbors for our annual Halloween Hayride. Zachary dressed up as King Peter from Chronicles of Narnia. He had a cool shield that his Daddy and Nana worked on together.


King Peter of Narnia


















 
  


Tuesday....

We got started on our writing assignment from our SWI-A Co-op. Zac has really enjoyed this year's writing class!

We are slowly working our way through the SWI-A (Student Writing Intensive - Level A) program by Excellence in Writing. It is great! I wish I had learned to write this way. The kids especially enjoy watching  Andrew Pudewa teach the classes on the video,  he is quite humorous, which the kids love. What is amazing to me is that I've already begun to see marked improvement in all the children. Even the most apprehensive writers (my son being one of them) have gone from dreading the process of writing their thoughts down on paper to actually being excited about what they are writing and looking forward to reading their works aloud to everyone in class. 

 
Here is a sample of Zachary's work:

The Dog and the Treats
by Zachary 
       A crazy dog named Rosie was at the groomers and saw a bowl full of dog treats. She put her head in to get some. She filled her mouth with treats and tried to pull out her head, which was bulging with treats. She was unwilling to let go of any of the treats so she was unable to get her head out of the bowl. She desperately ran around the room in panic. 
       Nearby, an alley cat said, "If you would be satisfied with fewer treats you would be able to get your head out the bowl. Sometimes you have to give up a little to get what you wish."




 Wednesday....

We are steadily working our way through Singapore Math 3A and also using Aleks online. Zac is very good at math, but I am beginning to get really bored with memorizing the multiplication math facts. He's mastered through the 7's as well as the 10's & 11's, but we are still working on the 8's, the 9's and the 12's. Like I said, he's good at memorizing, but I mean it's the same thing, week after week, lesson after lesson. Just more memorizing. Blah, blah, blah!!..................... Great attitude for the teacher, I know!!

But, I finally found a game called Manga High that "rocks" according to Zachary. It's completely free which I think definitely "rocks" too. I'll post more information about it later in case anyone else is interested.





















Thursday....

I pulled out Draw Write Now and let Zac choose a selection from the book that went along with our Plymouth Colony study. He chose the Mayflower drawing and took his time adding his own spin to the picture. I love it when he really gets into his work and has something he's proud of when it's done. 



Friday (actually, a little bit every day)....

We have been studying about the Plymouth Colony, Pilgrims, Mayflower, and First Thanksgiving all week and will continue on next week as well. I think the timing of how these weeks fall right before we break for Thanksgiving is pretty cool. Our American History Co-op is preparing for a Thanksgiving Play that the children will perform for the families the week before Thanksgiving. They've been given their lines to practice on their own, but we'll be using co-op time next week to start practicing more as a group and for making the costumes and sets. This will be the first time many of them have performed in front of a group and they are really excited.

Here's a peek at the books we've been using for American History:

An Assortment of History Books, Textbooks and Story Books





Readers for Zachary

Hands-On Projects and Zachary's History Workbook

Well, after thinking through all the things we've done this week I can see that, yes, we did get a lot accomplished after all.

I just want to be more careful in the weeks to come. The holidays are coming up and this is my favorite time of year. I don't want to look up and realize that the days have gone by and just slipped away without leaving behind thoughtful learning and precious memories. I want our days, weeks and lives to be more focused, more intentional. I definitely don't mean busier - certainly don't need more stuff to do. But I want to be more intentional in my planning (and in my unplanned moments), listening to the still voice of God that guides me and directs our schooling and our lives. I want to cherish the moments.

~Vicki~

No comments: